Sunday, September 16, 2012

INNOCENCE OF AN EX-BEST FRIEND


INOCENCE OF AN EX-BESTFRIEND
       
   These recent violent protests sparked by a video on youtube somehow reminded me of an ex-best friend.  How so?
      
    I’ll tell you.
      
    In my younger days, back when I used to roam the streets of Manila in search of night spots with a sign that reads ‘wanted: folksinger’, I had this ‘silent type’ guy as a constant tag along and eventually became a band mate, and yes, my best friend. 

     Now, this ex-best friend of mine, will somewhat strike you, as a very shy guy, and very down-to-earth literally with his head almost always bowed down and looking sideways. He, most of the time, is smiling, or grinning as one may put it, when being spoken to.  He seldom speaks. Just sits in a corner, quietly. 

     It didn’t bother me a bit then. In fact, I think it was his ‘quiet-never-talk much’ way that molded our friendship. I love to talk about a lot of things other than music. And he was always there, yes, to listen. (Ho-hum. ) Besides, I myself get high on silence and love being left alone by my lonesome. As it is for me, so it was for him. Or so I thought then.   
   
     We played together as a duet and went to hunt for places to play.  Between us two, everything went smoothly.  After a few uneventful months, I invited a bass player and a drummer to somehow tighten  our sound and to reinforce our music.

      It was a mistake.

     My then soon-to-be-ex-best friend being a man of few words didn’t say a thing but resented my move. His not so pleasant character started giving hints.  In practice sessions, when told to refine a chord or syncopate a rhythm, he would suddenly stop playing and walk out on us whispering curses to himself. There was this one instance when me, the bass player, and the drummer were having a good laugh when out of nowhere came my ex-best friend saying, ”You’re talking about me?” and made a motion of hitting us with a microphone stand. But he smiled widely afterwards, so the three of us thought it was just a joke. 

      And then, one day it happened. During our first gig as a four-piece band, he again played a wrong chord. Instead of saying ‘sorry’, he laughed wildly, and walked off the stage. When the club-manager stopped him to ask why, he gave the most unreasonable of reasons, hit the manager with a ‘Pacquiao’ left-hook, and threatened to burn the whole place down.  Not satisfied with what he just did, he started throwing bottles, glasses, ash trays, napkin holders around and hurled several mono-bloc chairs towards the stage obviously aimed on us, his band mates.  I was stunned. I never thought he was capable of being so violent. Right then and there, we disbanded. 

     Up until today, I can’t fully grasp what happened that day. I remember my ex-best friend telling me how his childhood was: Prayers right after waking up in the morning, before and after every meal, and before going to bed. Bible study and reciting the Holy Rosary every night, Black Nazarene on Fridays, Mother of Perpetual Help on Wednesdays, hear mass on Sundays rain-or-shine-no-matter- what. He was short of saying his parents were grooming him to be a priest one day. I can still recall how my ex-best friend’s voice sounded so sincere, while telling me how God-fearing he was; and how he wished everybody would treat everyone as brothers and sisters, as fellow human beings, as children of God; and how he look forward to the day he would be in heaven. 

        How could he be so violent? I remember asking myself after that incident. What was it that got into him that day? What drove him to just snap and explode so violently and insanely mad at everybody? Does he have deeply-rooted insecurities? How was he really brought up?   

        And just how could one say he is this and that, and then do another that and this?

        My ex-best friend knows. But does he?

No comments:

Post a Comment